Wednesday, February 08, 2006

 

My Thoughts on Perl

A few weeks ago I spent some time learning the new things that were added to the Perl language in the past ten years or so.   Perl was a great language back then, especially for text manipulations.  There's one new feature that irritates me, though.

The authors claim that Perl is object oriented.

Perl is barely more object oriented than the C language.  I used to write my C code to use object-oriented techniques, but it was a real chore.  Perl object-orientation is a chore, too.

The whole point to an object-oriented language is to let the language do these chores for you, giving you more time to focus on solving problems.  No wonder there are still so many anti-OO people out there.  In the wrong language, OO is just more work!


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?