Thursday, July 06, 2006

 

An Excellent Wireless Router

Over the weekend I read that Linksys still produces a Linux-based router, the WRT54GL. (The last letter is "L" for Linux.) I haven't seen it in stores, but I found it on my favorite online electronics store, buy.com.

I got a great deal for several reasons. Buy.com had sent me a 10% off coupon for not using them for a month or so, there's a $10 rebate, and there's an option for free shipping. (I always go for the free shipping, and the package arrives just as quickly!)

The router came yesterday and I got it running DD-WRT beautifully. Because of this open source firmware, my wireless router now has every feature I can imagine. The only imperfection I've noticed is that Firefox eventually runs into trouble submitting changes so they "stick". (It works for a long time, then stops working right.) They recommend using Internet Explorer, which I hate, but I can tolerate using it just to configure my router.

Follow these directions, and you, too, can have a blissful wireless router experience!

technorati tags:, , , , , ,

Blogged with Flock


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?