Wednesday, January 17, 2007

 

The Education Cartel

I was reflecting on my last blog entry when I realized that oligopoly isn't quite the right word to use. There are probably thousands of colleges and universities in the United States.

So what is the word representing the concept in my mind? I did a search on "education cartel" and found a lot of web pages! That was kind of exhilarating. Other people in the world have had similar thoughts! I'm not alone!

I just read through one that I thought looked interesting, called The Coming Breakdown of the Academic Cartel. Here's a quote:

In higher education, government-enforced accreditation restricts the spread of new ideas, new methodologies, and above all, new technologies that enable producers to lower prices. This is how higher education has become uniformly secular, liberal, and mediocre: raising the cost of entry.

I have a lot of reading to do!


technorati tags:,

Blogged with Flock


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?